[Vm-dev] Status of Cog-MT?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 17:23:09 UTC 2013

Hi Esteban,

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 5:42 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <estebanlm at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
>
> I've seen that you are consistently maintaining the MT version of the Cog,
> so I wonder what is his status.
> Is it usable?

I have a very simple test case, a REPL loop that runs in parallel with the
UI.  This works.  I had a more complex case that I have not maintained, a
concurrent callout to the Mac file chooser dialog.  The dialog uses
(asynchronous, concurrent) callbacks to ask the client about valid file
names.  This nearly worked but I haven't had time to get back to it.
 (Another unmaintained test case is a concurrent interface to ODBC).

I think the scheme should work well but it requires work.  I think the work
is worth it, but I need to find the time, and I need a collaborator.

Esteban, I think this would be relevant for your Mac UI work, and would
revolutionize the Squeak/Pharo FFI.  But it is not an easy thing to develop
(concurrency is never easy to deal with).
--
best,
Eliot