[Vm-dev] unit code for new faster bitblt

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Jun 25 17:21:13 UTC 2013

On 25-06-2013, at 10:12 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> On 24.06.2013, at 17:01, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>
>> we will need to get the assembler sources re-worked by the author in order to work with the standard 'gas' assembler, rather than relying on having asasm installed.
>
> This thread seems to indicate that asasm can be made to work on Linux:
>
> http://list-archives.org/2013/03/11/gcc-gccsdk-riscos-info/gccsdk-porting-asasm/f/6517280006

Oh, absolutely it can, or I wouldn't have been able to make the plain interp with the benblt code. The practical problem is that it doesn't (seem to) play nicely with the gcc idiom of telling the system which assembler to use and letting it call said asm for you. The args don't match, so far as I can tell, but perhaps there is a rune to fix that.
The other issue is that requiring the installation of an ARM specific tool when one isn't really needed is a bit unfriendly.

A side issue is that the cmake config stuff almost certainly needs some better testing for whether you want to and are able to use the fast blt code. Anyone with cmake knowledge that cares to offer assistance would be most welcome.

tim
To succeed in politics, it is often necessary to rise above your principles.