[Vm-dev] I need an idea. I know you have some. Give.

Louis LaBrunda Lou at Keystone-Software.com
Fri Mar 8 15:15:12 UTC 2013

Hi Casey,

Since you are posting the to VM news group I will give you an idea I had a
while ago that requires a little VM work.  The goal is an object database
that doesn't require serializing the objects.

This would be done by replacing the normal memory pointers in objects with
offsets from the beginning of the database.  Persistent objects (those from
the database) would have an indicator to distinguish them form
non-persistent objects.  When accessing persistent objects the VM would use
the database offset pointer as a key into a virtual memory lookup table
whose value would be the real memory address of the object.  If not present
in the table, the object would be read from the database.  Remember,
everything else about the object would look the same as it does now in
memory.  From time to time the VM would save all changed (DB) objects to
the database.  If this sounds familiar it should, it is the way most caches
work.

I have no experience with the VM (and not very much experience with Squeak)
but I think this would be a cool project and it could be useful.  I'm not
is much better shape than you are but I could contribute some time and
ideas.

Lou