[Vm-dev] About primitive for cleaning compiled method cache

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 11:54:02 UTC 2013

As I understand it, there is a nuclear weapon
- primitive 89 for cleaning all caches
and more chirurgical tools:
- primitive 116 for cleaning method cache of a single CompiledMethod
- primitive 119 for cleaning method cache for all CompiledMethod
corresponding to a given selector

Currently, when we replace a CompiledMethod in some MethodDictionary,
we call both primitive 116 then primitive 119.
As I understand it from image code comments, this was to support old
VM that would support either one or the other form.
Modern VM (interpreter VM4.x serie, Stack or Cog) are mandatory to run
a modern image all implement both forms, so backward support argument
is gone.
I think it's time to clean some dust.
So my question is which one is necessary ?

Nicolas