[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker-dtl.302.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 18:00:14 UTC 2013

Hi Dave,

    thanks, but...

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 7:06 AM, <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:

> Item was changed:
>   ----- Method: VMMaker class>>versionString (in category 'version
> testing') -----
>   versionString
>
>         "VMMaker versionString"
>
> +       ^'4.10.13'!
> -       ^'4.10.12'!

I *hate* the above.  It is busy work (it must be done manually before each
commit).  It is really easy to forget to do.  It is meaningless (because it
is easy to forget it makes no guarantee that it identifies a unique
version). It is not a good search key.  Mapping the version number into the
software configuration that produced the C code is hard (you have to trawl
through Monticello packages searching for the version with the relevant
version string; you can script this but fer christ's sake...).

Using the Monticello package name and version (with the dirty marker) on
the other hand is automatic, is a really good key, and is meaningful.  So
please can we discard VMMaker versionString and move to using the
Monticello package?  Please?  Please.
--
best,
Eliot