[Vm-dev] About Smalltalk getSystemAttribute: 1009 [WAS: Re: [Pharo-project] where to report vm crashes? (while running Moose tests)]

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 17:57:33 UTC 2013

On 14 March 2013 18:39, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <estebanlm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Mar 12, 2013, at 9:43 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> But it would be nice if there was more agreement on the format of Smalltalk getSystemAttribute: 1009.  This is a useful attribute and nice if it were parsed by the Pharo image code.
>>

>> yes, I agree... maybe something like this:
>>
>> Pharo|Squeak|Newspeak MAJ.MIN.BUG:Cog|Stack|Interpreter MAJ.MIN.BUG:EXTRA-FOR-TASTE
>

> What's BUG?  First let's step back.  What info do you currently have in the Pharo one?
>
> Here's the info in the Cog one:
> VM source revision (revision id of root of VM source tree)
> VM source repository URL (e.g. http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog)
> Plugin source revision (revision id of plugins/Cross)
> plugins/Cross source repository URL (e.g. http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms/Cross/plugins)

Here what 'Smalltalk vm version' gives:
 'NBCoInterpreter NativeBoost-CogPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.18 uuid:
a53445f9-c0c0-4015-97a3-be7db8d9ed6b Mar 13 2013
NBCogit NativeBoost-CogPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.18 uuid:
a53445f9-c0c0-4015-97a3-be7db8d9ed6b Mar 13 2013
git://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed.git Commit:
412abef33cbed05cf1d75329e451d71c0c6aa5a7 Date: 2013-03-13 17:48:50
+0100 By: Esteban Lorenzano <estebanlm at gmail.com> Jenkins build #14535
'
So, details:

NBCoInterpreter - an interpreter class name, and package which implements it
(with version)

NBCogit - a Cogit class, and package which implements it

 NativeBoost-CogPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.18 uuid:
a53445f9-c0c0-4015-97a3-be7db8d9ed6b Mar 13 2013

Then a url to git repository where sources took from:
git://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed.git

And a commit hash:
Commit: 412abef33cbed05cf1d75329e451d71c0c6aa5a7 Date: 2013-03-13
17:48:50 +0100
And commit author:
By: Esteban Lorenzano <estebanlm at gmail.com>

And at the end we add a jenkins job # , but it only added if you build
VM on jenkins:
Jenkins build #14535

Like that, we're not bound to some strange version number which means
nothing, but rather a concrete and most complete information, where
this artifact comes from and how to reproduce it in case of need.

Some glitches: For our CMakeVMMaker builds, it actually makes more
sense to give a configuration class name (and corresponding
CMakeVMMaker package version), rather than interpreter/cointerpreter
classes,
because cmake config encapsulates a lot of things including those two,
and a lot more.

P.S. i really want to merge all smalltalk source codebase into git ,
like that we will only need to list a git commit # and the config used
to build VM.
But not MC package version, because there's plenty of them.. not just
VMMaker alone.
Otherwise to provide full information we would need to list all
related packages used to build VM and their versions..
But even today, a git commit points to ConfigurationOfCog /
ConfigurationOfPharoVM which uniquely identifies all required packages
and their versions used to build VM for that commit...
So, an MC package versions is more a legacy than we really need it.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.