[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker-tpr.309.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Mar 22 16:52:20 UTC 2013

On 22-03-2013, at 9:42 AM, "phil at highoctane.be" <phil at highoctane.be> wrote:

> Question:
>
> What kind of Pi and RiscOS do I need to try this out?

A model B Pi is best, since it has ethernet and two USB ports. A model A would still run ok but you'd really need a USB hub just to connect the mouse/kbd. Obviously you need a power supply and hdmi monitor as well.

RISC OS for Pi can be downloaded for free from www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

You can of course run Raspbian (or several other unixy based OSs) on Pi, and Squeak on that. I have to say that my experience is that RISC OS is a lot less treacle-like in its UI performance generally. Squeak performance is, unsurprisingly, just about identical barring compiler/library related differences

tim
Earth is 98% full...please delete anyone you can.