[Vm-dev] Reproducible VM crash when loading FFI

Guillermo Polito guillermopolito at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 17:19:11 UTC 2013

Hi!

In my quest to crash the vm, i've found an ugly common case :(.
I am trying to port the opendbx driver to 2.0, but I'm getting vm crashes
when my configuration loads FFI :(. I updated my configuration to load
version 1.7 of FFI (which I assume is the latest).

I tried to do it in Pharo 2.0 with latest pharovm, and with eliot's Cog
2701 from his website, failing in both cases.
The snippet of code that gets a sistematic crash is:

Gofer it
smalltalkhubUser: 'DBXTalk' project: 'DBXTalkDriver';
package: 'ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver';
load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfOpenDBXDriver) project version:#stable) load

This snippet crashes always with a segmentation fault (at least the fifteen
times i tried :), with several different output in the console...

Surprisingly, if I load FFI alone and not from the OpenDBXDriver
configuration, it loads well... :/

So I'm deferring the OpenDBX port a bit longer :(

Thanks!
Guille