[Vm-dev] Re: Reproducible VM crash when loading FFI

Guillermo Polito guillermopolito at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 16:33:48 UTC 2013

Ok, as a summary. I've tried

1) not recreating the compact classes array without voiding vm caches:
works ok.

2) making another compact classes array, voiding the vm caches
(primitive 214): random crashes :/. Sometimes it works, some times it does
not...
I've tried, just for the record, to void the cache before, after and
(before and after) the become forward of the special objects array:

a)
| newSpecialObjectsArray |
self vm voidCogVMState.
newSpecialObjectsArray := self newSpecialObjectsArray.
self specialObjectsArray becomeForward: newSpecialObjectsArray.

b)
| newSpecialObjectsArray |
newSpecialObjectsArray := self newSpecialObjectsArray.
self specialObjectsArray becomeForward: newSpecialObjectsArray.
self vm voidCogVMState.

c)
| newSpecialObjectsArray |
self vm voidCogVMState.
newSpecialObjectsArray := self newSpecialObjectsArray.
self specialObjectsArray becomeForward: newSpecialObjectsArray.
self vm voidCogVMState.

All with different results when executing several times... :/

voidCogVMState is the following in Pharo:

VirtualMachine class>>voidCogVMState
"Void any internal caches the VM maintains other than the method lookup
caches.
 These comprise
- the stack zone, where method activations are stored, and
- the machine code zone, where the machine code form of CompiledMethods is
held."
<primitive: 214>
^self primitiveFailed

The comment says it does not clean method lookup caches...

any ideas?
Guille