[Vm-dev] Spur Object 64 bit format

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 11:43:53 UTC 2013

On 12 November 2013 19:23, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Igor,
>

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 3:37 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> And let me remind you what i proposed back then:
>>
>> :)
>> ===========
>> About immediates zoo.
>>
>> Keep in mind, that the more immediates we have, the more complex
>> implementation
>> tends to be.
>>
>> I would just keep 2 data types:
>>  - integers
>>  - floats
>>
>> and third, special 'arbitrary' immediate , which seen by VM as a 60-bit
>> value.
>> The interpretation of this value depends on lookup in range-table,
>> where developer specifying the correspondence between the value
>> interval and class:
>> [min .. max] -> class
>>

> for this idea to go anywhere you'd have to show at least the pseudo-code
> for the inline cache test in machine code methods.  These schemes seem
> great in theory but in practice end up with a long, complex and slow
> fetchClassOf: and/or inline cache test.  To remind you, you have to compete
> with the following in Spur Cog:
>
> Limm:
> andl $0x1, %eax
> j Lcmp
>  Lentry:
> movl %edx, %eax
> andl $0x3, %eax
>  jnz Limm
> movl 0(%edx), %eax
> andl $0x3fffff, %eax
>  Lcmp:

It is extra comparison for immediate case:

cmp eax, LowRange
jl miss
cmp eax, HighRange
jg miss

so, if value between low & high range, it is already known what class it is
otherwise
you got cache miss.

And this scheme works even better if you pick highest bit for tagging, like
that you can get rid of testing tag bit completely:
andl $0x1, %eax
j Lcmp
and start straight from comparing with high and low values.
That of course, if we can use highest bit for tagging.

The class lookup then will be binary search in table of ranges, which is
O(log n).

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.