[Vm-dev] OS X Mavericks & cog tickers

John McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Oct 24 23:18:40 UTC 2013

Well let me reflect.
Nothing has changed, the VM energy sapping field is the same as  yesterday,
just more evident.

 I wasn't able to determine what code base is used, but if I go back 5 or
10 years.

(a) The morphic event polling cycle runs 50 times a second. One could write
some timer consolidation code there to consider when do I have to wake up
and paint all those morphs? No C/Objective-C/assembler/fortran required...

(b) Maybe the VMs are event driven now and Morphic does not need to poll 50
times a second?

(c) The BSD Unix socket system requires polling of some form.  But see work
by Craig 10-15 back on "Flow"

(d) When all the Smalltalk Processes settle, the dispatcher runs the lowest
priority task which calls relinquishProcessorForMicroseconds with a bogus
value.

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 6:21 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> Looking through some of the low-level changes in Mavericks I noticed stuff
> about timer consolidation. I *think* that it is something that you can
> offer to allow, rather than something done unto you code, but almost
> certainly it will have some sort of impact on the heartbeat ticker type of
> code used in stackvm/cog. Where is a skilled Mac vm maintainer when you
> need one?
>
> tim
> "bOtHeR" said Pooh, mistaking the LSD tablet for aspirin

Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd. Twitter: squeaker68882