[Vm-dev] Android vm status?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Oct 24 23:50:49 UTC 2013

Andreas Raab did the original Android Squeak VM. The squeakvm.org
home page has links to this. I can confirm that it works because it
is running on my cell phone.

Since then, the Android VM has been further developed by Dmitry Golubovsky:

http://lists.pharo.org/pipermail/pharo-dev_lists.pharo.org/2013-January/073078.html

The Smalltalk bits are in the VMMaker repository in package Android-base.

If you follow the links that Esteban provides for the CI build, you will
probably find the most up to date version of the Android VM.
I do not have a link to the support code but it is probably referenced from
the CogDroid CI job.

I think that if you download DrGeo for your Android device, you are probably
getting the most up to date version of the VM.

The latest version is built from a Pharo image and Cog (oscog) VMMaker
base. The name "CogDroid" probably refers to a StackInterpreter base as
opposed to the classic Interpreter.

Andreas' original postings will probably give a good overview of how the
VM integrates with the Android environment, and Dmitry's implementation
should be considered current state of the art.

Dave