[Vm-dev] image format suggestion (was: blog post)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Sep 13 00:27:01 UTC 2013

Another possibly interesting approach would be to use the zip compander we already have in the plugin to just zip the images. Many, many years ago, dan Lanovaz did some experiments with VW to try out the idea and it looked an interesting way to save space and (depending upon machine details) time when loading. Of course, disks are so big these days maybe it doesn't matter, though I've always had a hard time really accepting that. I grew up with  20Mb disc as the Disk Of Your Dreams….

Where it could help is on networked systems where you can save bandwidth, or embedded systems where ROM space is expensive etc.

Or you could go completely nuts and save the image as xml…..

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Sona si Latine loqueris = Honk if you speak Latin.