[Vm-dev] [HowTo] Compile CogVM for Windows 7 using MinGW/MSYS

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Tue Sep 24 21:13:35 UTC 2013

Dear Eliot, all

Am 24.09.2013 um 20:16 schrieb Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>:

> Thanks Marcel!!  Can I fold this into my makefiles?

Is gcc 3 really necessary for Cog?  “yes” clearly
is a proper answer, but last year, as I had to fiddle
with the Self VM and make it compile, even Old gcc4
were a pain.
  Ian apparently has done some tweaks to the build system
for the win32 branch[1]. It also uses MSYS and MinGW but
probably more recent gcc'en (but I'm not sure)[2].
  Just out of curiosity, have you sync'ed the cog-branch
platform dir after the initial branching?

Please do not regard me as a show stopper or „Spaßbremse“,
but I figure, that the entry barrier to work with the
Squeak VM or Cog is quite high, even if you don't want
touch the interpreter/jit at all. We should make it
more approachable.
  I think Mariano did a good job for an introduction
to building a Squeak/Cog VM[3], But his 2nd-level
tool-chain (sources from gitorious+CMake via CMakeVMMaker)[4]
seems vastly different from the current Makefile-based
approach, but apparently, the CMake toolchain can make use
of more recent compilers.

Where are we headed?

Best
	-Tobias

[1] http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/trunk/platforms/win32/
[2] http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/trunk/platforms/win32/HowToBuild.txt?revision=2612&view=markup
[3] https://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2011/04/10/building-the-vm-from-scratch-using-git-and-cmakevmmaker/
[4] I would call the MSYS+MinGW tool-chain 1st level in this case