[Vm-dev] [HowTo] Compile CogVM for Windows 7 using MinGW/MSYS

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Sep 25 17:33:27 UTC 2013

On 25-09-2013, at 12:27 AM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> So let me try to summarize all existing VM building systems
> NOT including what goes on in the VMMaker* packages.
>
> • squeak-vm trunk (http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms/):
> 	win32: MYSY/MinGW, hand-written ./configure, hand-written templated Makefile
> 	unix: CMake, host-compiler (mostly GCC 4)	Ian's comment: # Yes, it's true: you can write makefiles in COBOL.
> 	carbon (alias Mac OS): Xcode, Errors by default to not be used
> 	cocoa (alias iOS, for iPhone/OSX): Xcode
> 	RiscOS: Hand-written MakeFile (is this right, Tim?)

Correct. Lovingly hand crafted over decades of carefully trying to keep a minority OS in the game. AIUI, it ought to be possible to make CMake generate an equivalent file even though it doesn't actually run on RISC OS. That would be interesting.

> • squeak-vm/stack-vm/Newspeak-vm cog branch (http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/):
> 	win32: cygwin, gcc3, hand-written Makefile, ./mvm shell script
> 	osx (using carbon): Xcode, gcc4, clang partly (llvm-gcc?), ./mvm shell script wrapper, ./makevm shell script wrapper
> 	unix: autoconf/automake, gcc
> 	RiscOS: ?

Not yet; I did the fiddly bits to make it run on Raspbian a while back and if anyone out there is sufficiently competent with the auto* stuff that they could add the faster bitblt related stuff, I'd be very happy - I spent far too long and gave up in exhaustion. I could even offer a Pi as a small inducement!

> • gitorious-hosted cog-vm (https://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed) [1]
> 	win32: CMake, using MSYS/MinGW
> 	osx: CMake, Xcode llvm-gcc not supported, seems to be based on the iOS/cocoa branch
> 	unix: CMake, gcc.
> 	Cmake-files generated by CMakeVMMaker.
> 	clones, use same build system:
> 	• pharo-vm (https://gitorious.org/cogvm/pharovm)
> 	• oz-vm ((https://gitorious.org/cogvm/ozvm)

So far as I know, no git stuff for RISC OS.

> That makes, by my counting, 8 distinct build systems. Note that the
> CMake source for trunk-unix differs from the gitorious hosted one;
> the trunk-unix one is handwritten by Ian, the gitorious one generated
> by CMakeVMMaker.
>
> Did I forget some?
>
> Best
> 	-Tobias
>

> [1] I think, this is the source you meant, Stephane?
>    PS: The wiki link on http://code.google.com/p/cog/wiki/Guide points nowhere.

tim
Useful random insult:- Couldn't find his way through a maze even if the rats helped him.