[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] [NB] Trying to implement a ReadStream on NBExternalAddress

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Sep 25 17:39:18 UTC 2013

On 25-09-2013, at 9:30 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Off the top of my head it may need the memory manager to add a "sliver" object type, an 8-byte header with no fields, that is collected by coallescing with adjacent free blocks, that can fill in the 8-byte gaps aligning pinned objects on 16 byte boundaries would create.  I'll think about this.

Wild-ass suggestion; would it work to allocate the relevant object (which I'm assuming here is essentially an UninterpretedBytes) with an 'extra' 8 bytes and then store the 'real' bits at the right place to have the 16byte boundary? Yes, there would have to be magic to signify where the  real start of data is. Yes, it would potentially change on scavenge, but since these are largely pinned, not such a big issue maybe?

tim
Klingon Code Warrior:- 4) "This machine is a piece of GAGH! I need dual G5 processors if I am to do battle with  this code!"