Ways to build a VM (was: Re: [Vm-dev] [HowTo] Compile CogVM for Windows 7 using MinGW/MSYS)

Camillo Bruni camillobruni at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 13:53:34 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-30, at 04:56, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

>>> Thank you for that great offer!

>>> Understandable. There are always some small thing you just want to change,
>>> and that is the point where one might want to compile manually. For
>>> example, in Marcel's case, he just needed a Windows VM that has no
>>> memory-cap of 512 MB, and he just wanted to compile a Cog VM with
>>> more Memory. Setting up an automated build for this small task
>>> seems overkill to me.
>>
>> Tobias my point is that you can
>> 	- copy a jenkins job :) there is even a button for that :)
>
> I didn't know that! :)
>
>> 	- second you can just take a process of a build and reuse the CMake generattion made by igor so the process is **documented**
>> 	and always exercised. So you do not have to set up a jenkins job but you can use the infrastructure put in place.
>> 	At least I would not try to redo the work done by igor just use/modify/extend it
>> 	 because I prefer to do something else with the time I can gain.
>

> Yes, I understood that. I noticed that you all put effort into this.
> And I certainly do not want to let that go unnoticed.
>
> As a matter of fact, however, we have currently more than eight ways
> to build a Squeak/Pharo VM, and for _everyone_ using either of them,
> there is a high effort learning another one, and one as to make
> a decision where to put ones effort, just like you said, where to
> invest ones time.
>  Basically, people like (but not limited to) Eliot or Tim have to
> decide whether to improve the VM itself or invest time learning a
> different build system from what they are using now, notwithstanding
> that a new one even might be better/more efficient/cleaner etc….

> Long story short, _I_ think there are too many ways to build a VM
> for a newbee to decide which to use.

Just to add, http://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm now builds completely
autonomous under travis: https://travis-ci.org/pharo-project/pharo-vm

that means, this is currently the only build that takes a complete setup into
account. Even our current jenkins job rely on a properly setup slave, with
travis you have to specify exactly which packages you want.