[Vm-dev] Plugins Directory

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Wed Apr 2 18:39:20 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 1:33 PM, gettimothy <gettimothy at zoho.com> wrote:

> Hi Colin,
>
> >I've been working on a custom build of Cog (rev 2886) on Linux. I notice
> that the VM always looks  for plugins in the same directory as the VM
> binary, and thus we need a wrapper script to set SQUEAK_PLUGINS and
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH correctly.
> >I'd like to do away with the wrapper script in my specific case, since I
> know in advance where everything will be installed. Is there a way to
> specify the plugin directory at compile time?
>

> At the bottom of the class comment of VMMaker is a discussion of plugins.
>
> In there is this little snippet:
>

> Known problems:-
> a) since Squeak has really poor filename handling, you can't simply change
> the directory names to '/foo/bar/myEvilCodeBase' and expect it to work. You
> fix file names and I'll fix VMMaker :-)
>

> My guess on hacking it would be on the class side of VMMaker under the
> accessing protocol: coreVMDirName, machinesDirName, etc...

Hi tty,

That's surprising. I would have thought that loading plugins would be a
platform-specific operation. I didn't think to look at VMMaker. Surely
that's about generating plugin code, and not loading shared libraries?

On the other hand, I *did* fix filenames. I'll have to track down the
author of that comment. :-)

Thanks!

Colin