[Vm-dev] VM CMake Project

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Thu Apr 10 20:02:13 UTC 2014

Tim,

Thank you.

I have changed the subject line to reflect the project.

I will start reviewing the archives tomorrow and come up with a roadmap. I don't have any projects besides this right now so I can give it my full attention and hopefully get something intuitive, functional and documented in place by end of next week-ish.

Cordially,

tty.

---- On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 12:53:28 -0700 tim Rowledge<tim at rowledge.org> wrote ----

On 10-04-2014, at 11:17 AM, gettimothy <gettimothy at zoho.com> wrote:

> David.
>
> I am taking Tim up on his bounty offer. Gotta love a chance to contribute, learn something new and interesting and pay the rent.

OK. I’ll be very pleased if something can actually come of this. I’ve had several people claim they were going to solve the problem Real Soon Now but so far nothing. Forgive me if I seem world-weary and cynical but that’s because… I am.

The aim is to get Cog on *nix being built via a mechanism as near as possible to that used for the plain interp in the squeakvm.org trunk tree. Windows & Mac may or may not ever be targets and I don’t care right now.

If you read the archives of the main squeak list and the vm-dev list after searching for all messages with ‘cmake’ in the subject and dating back to last june you’ll find at least 60-some hits. After a quick scan of my local archive I see a variety of suggestions to think about. I note that Ron Teitelbaum wrote that Goran was working on the issue at 3DICC, for example.

The grand aim would be to unify things so well that Eliot throws off the chains of keeping a virtual fork and starts using the main trunk since it is so easy to do. I suspect that might be more work than can be done in a few weeks even. What *I* would be happy with would be a checkout that works on my Pi, produces a working stackvm, matches the trunk cmake setup as closely as possible and is clearly documented so it can be further developed towards the Grand Aim.

tim
Strange OpCodes: RSC: Rewind System Clock