[Vm-dev] Spur performance report...

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 17:16:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 6:09 AM, Colin Putney <colin at wiresong.com> wrote:

> On 22 Apr, 2014 at 5:05:12 PM, Eliot Miranda (eliot.miranda at gmail.com)
> wrote:
> > >
> > In recent days I've written a script to build a Cog VMMaker image
> > from Squeak 4.5. See
> http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/image.
> > This has allowed me to run the current Cog VM against Spur side-to-side.
> >

> Nice. How much of the code that gets loaded is updating existing packages,
> rather than completely new code? Updating existing code usually involves
> lots of #become: and generates garbage...

It's all new code.  Here's the timing for just updating, but I'm not sure
this is apples-to-apples because Kernel System and Collections differ
between the two packages, and because there's a lot of network delay in
this comparison:

McStalker.image$  time spurcfvm CogVMMaker-spur.image
UpdateSqueakTrunkImage.st
real    0m45.886s
user    0m12.751s
sys     0m0.690s
McStalker.image$ time oscfvm CogVMMaker.image UpdateSqueakTrunkImage.st
real    0m35.929s
user    0m6.235s
sys     0m0.603s
--