[Vm-dev] Imminent change to Spur image format

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 17:59:58 UTC 2014

Hi Bert,

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
wrote:

> On 11.08.2014, at 18:16, Clément Bera <bera.clement at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 09.08.2014, at 00:46, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> >     as part of the Newspeak infrastructure we use at Cadence I
>> implemented multiple bytecode set support and a lifting of the limits in a
>> method on the number of literals and the span of branches about two years
>> ago.  This work involved adding a second interpretation to the bits in a
>> method header, providing 16 bits of literal count.  This was done by moving
>> the primitive number out of the method header and into an optional
>> callPrimitive bytecode, being the first bytecode of methods that have
>> primitives.
>> >
>> > Now in Spur I have the opportunity to use this expanded format for the
>> exsting bytecode set as well.  The SqueakV3 set does not use bytecode 139,
>> which is convenient to use for its callPrimitiveBytecode.  The advantage is
>> that when and if a new bytecode set is added, as is planned for the Sista
>> VMs, the VM will not have to test method headers to decide which format
>> they're in, because there will only be one.
>>
>> Just curious: how does the VM know which bytecode set to use for a given
>> method?
>>
>> A bit is set or not in the compiled method header.
>

> But Eliot wrote "the VM will not have to test method headers"?

Right.  For a while the Newspeak VMs have supported two bytecode sets with
two different header formats, the old format:

sign bit 0, header >= 0:
(index 0) 9 bits: main part of primitive number   (#primitive)
(index 9) 8 bits: number of literals (#numLiterals)
(index 17) 1 bit: whether a large frame size is needed (#frameSize)
(index 18) 6 bits: number of temporary variables (#numTemps)
(index 24) 4 bits: number of arguments to the method (#numArgs)
(index 28) 1 bit: high-bit of primitive number (#primitive)
(index 29) 1 bit: flag bit, ignored by the VM  (#flag)
(index 30/63) sign bit: 0 selects the Primary instruction set (#signFlag)
sign bit 1, header < 0:
(index 0) 16 bits: number of literals (#numLiterals)
(index 16)  1 bit: has primitive
(index 17)  1 bit: whether a large frame size is needed (#frameSize)
(index 18)  6 bits: number of temporary variables (#numTemps)
(index 24)  4 bits: number of arguments to the method (#numArgs)
(index 28)  2 bits: reserved for an access modifier (00-unused, 01-private,
10-protected, 11-public)
(index 30/63) sign bit: 1 selects the Secondary instruction set (e.g.
NewsqueakV4) (#signFlag)
i.e. the Secondary Bytecode Set expands the number of literals to 65535 by
assuming a CallPrimitive bytecode.

So whenever the VM needed to know the numLiterals (e.g. the GC in visiting
pointer fields in methods) it had to switch-hit:

StackInterpreter>>literalCountOfHeader: headerPointer
<api>
"We support two method header formats, as selected by the sign flag.  Even
if the VM only
 has one bytecode set, supporting teh two formats here allows for
instantiating methods in
 the other format for testing, etc."
^(self headerIndicatesAlternateBytecodeSet: headerPointer)
ifTrue: [self literalCountOfAlternateHeader: headerPointer]
ifFalse: [self literalCountOfOriginalHeader: headerPointer]

StackInterpreter>>headerIndicatesAlternateBytecodeSet: methodHeader
<api>
<inline: true>
"A negative header selects the alternate bytecode set."
^methodHeader signedIntFromLong < 0

It;s not a lot of work since the header has to be fetched anyway.  But it's
complexity, and things should be as simple as possible but no simpler ;-)

So since Spur is a chance for a fresh start it seemed like a good time to
move to a single method header format, while keepoing the ability to
support multiple bytecode sets.

Also, with a single bit, how can there be more than one alternative
> bytecode set?

One could I suppose put bits in a bytecode, just like the primitive is
encoded in a callPrimitive: bytecode.  But I don't like that.  Instead, if
one needs more juts add another bit.  As described above there's room for a
two bit field in the sign and flag bits combined.

One might take the view that only one additional set is needed.  One can
develop it, test it, then move to it by recompiling everything to it and
switching.  e.g. a snapshot operation that flips the sign bit on save could
simply move methods from one set to another.

However, if, as the Smalltalk-X folks do, one wants to directly support the
bytecode of another language (java, python?) then having, say, 4 sets to
choose from might be nice.

Right now the pressing need is to support the Sista bytecode set.  Clément
is making string progress and I've implemented a fair ammount of the VM
support.  We have the bytecode set defined, the inline primitives defined.
 I'll leave it to Clément to describe the optimizer status.  In the VM we
have the bytecode set implemented, the performance counters on conditional
branches that call-back into the image when they trip, and the class trap
bytecode, used to check that objects are of the required classes before
entering unsafe optimized code.  That leaves the inlined primitives of
which I've implemented a handful of the simpler ones.  So we're on course
to have a prototype by Christmas ;-)

At a later stage we'll add an OptimizedContext (which in the VM will have
an associated new frame format) that will have a pointer stack (as the
current Context does) and a byte stack for handling raw data such as
floating-point.  The JIT will map (at least some) memory locations in the
byte stack onto the floating-point registers for much improved
floating-point performance.
--
best,
Eliot