[Vm-dev] VM Platform contribution (Plan9)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Dec 31 00:09:55 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 12:30:49PM -0500, Alex Franchuk wrote:
> This summary is correct. Is there anything else you need from me?

Hi Alex,

I have merged your changes into the VMMaker package for the interpreter VM.
I made a few changes to merge it into the latest version and to avoid adding
new methods in Squeak trunk. I think that I have it right now, but I'd
appreciate if you have a chance to try the latest version (VMMaker-dtl.357)
and let me know if it now generates code that compiles properly on the Plan9
compiler. Please let me know if I made any mistakes in the merge, it is quite
possible that I will have done so.

Eliot,

It's quite likely that some of these changes will prove redundant with work
that you have already done in Cog for proper return type declarations.  But I
wanted to capture Alex's changes into the Montecello repository while they are
still fresh. One thing I do want to call to your attention is the inlineReturnTypes
dictionary that Alex added to the code generator. The interesting thing about this
is that it is used in TAssignmentNode>>emitCCodeOn:level:generator: to add type
casts for methods that typically were not properly declared for one reason or
another. That serves as a red flag for missing or improper type declarations
throughout the VMMaker code, and I suspect that it may prove to be a useful
diagnostic tool.

Dave