[Vm-dev] Simulator in Pharo 3

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 20:04:03 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Stefan Marr <smalltalk at stefan-marr.de>wrote:

> Hi Eliot:
>
> On 13 Feb 2014, at 18:26, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I would implement isPharo/isSqueak/isNewspeak in VMClass.  These can
> answer e.g. the value of a class variable.  hence, below...
>
> Hm, this looks really ugly, no? Perhaps with one more indirection of a
> proper helper method where it makes sense?

Sure, knock yourself out.  The simulator isn't pretty, but avoiding adding
new warts is fine.  Just don't obfuscate.

> Will try to look into it tomorrow.

thanks, lovely.  i already addressed the getSystemParameter: issue.

> > Also for this discussion should we continue to cross-post or is vm-dev
> an adequate forum?  Answers from Pharoites please...  I have to admit that
> I'm a bit troubled by how often subjects that are clearly vm-centric are
> raised on pharo-dev.  To Pharoites perceive vm-dev as a squeak thing?  If
> so, may I suggest pharo-vm-dev?  If not, can the Pharo community make an
> effort to direct vm discussion towards vm-dev in future?
>
> Sorry, my fault. I considered it originally a Pharo-only issue, because
> the simulator seems to work in Squeak.

But its a VM issue and we should discuss vm issues in the vm forum.
 Otherwise the community's vm development is in danger (IMO) of being as
balkanised as the Pharo/Squeak split and that would break my heart and
lower my motivation.

Best regards

--
best,