[Vm-dev] #clone vs. #shallowCopy

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Feb 15 01:03:16 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:28:25AM +0100, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Hi:
>
> In Pharo there is no #clone anymore and in Squeak 4.5 #shallowCopy seems to be equivalent to #clone in its implementation.
>
> There are a few uses of #clone in the VMMaker, and SmartSyntaxPluginCodeGenerator knows about it as well.
>
> Would it be ok to migrate to #shallowCopy?

Stefan,

I see three senders of #clone in the trunk (interpreter) VMMaker, and no
references in SmartSyntaxPluginCodeGenerator (aside from some code that is
commented out). Is this the same as you are seeing? Cog seems to be the same
except that the code in SmartSyntaxPluginCodeGenerator is not commented out,
but it is unused so probably not relevant.