[Vm-dev] Absolute transparent persistence without saving image?

Denis Kudriashov dionisiydk at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 20:03:29 UTC 2014

> On 15.02.2014, at 08:37, Denis Kudriashov <dionisiydk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > I found very interesting project PhantomOS. It's not smalltalk related.
> But they try build pure object operating system with "absolute persistence
> option".
> > It object model very similar to Smalltalk, it has virtual machine as "OS
> core". But difference between smalltalks and PhantomOS is how "image
> saves". In smalltalk we doing it manually. But PhantomOS always has
> persisted image state. So any object change will be restored after system
> restart without any special action.
> >
> > What do you think about this?
> > Was there smalltalk implementations (any research projects) with such
> feature? Maybe first smalltalk computer works same way?
>
> Gemstone/S.

In Gemstone you also should save changes manually by commit transaction
message. But PhantomOS idea is persisting any change automatically. They
implement special virtual memory to achieve this. Maybe it is very similar
to LOOM as Yoshiki said. I don't know.

Is first smalltalk machine has "save image button"?