[Vm-dev] Making a Slower VM

Alan Grimes ALONZOTG at verizon.net
Sun Feb 23 17:20:02 UTC 2014

David T. Lewis wrote:

> The major issue was that the refactoring of object memory and interpreter
> into separate class hierarchies (which is a very good thing IMHO) requires
> the use of accessor methods, and this leads to name conflicts in the generated
> code if those accessor methods are not fully inlined.

YAY!!!!

I did a half-assed attempt at that ten years ago....

My thinking was to run an Interpreter for each physical CPU (I had a SMP
machine back then).

Now that we're starting the process of moving away from x86, there are
could be specialized interpreters for different processors in the system
and, possibly, several Object Memories for things such as the GPU memory
area... Then you get Xeon Phi or NUMA type machines...

--
IQ is a measure of how stupid you feel.

Powers are not rights.