[Vm-dev] Marshalling?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Jan 4 13:37:56 UTC 2014

On 03.01.2014, at 00:33, gettimothy <gettimothy at zoho.com> wrote:

> Is there a term for all the Method/Block Contexts that are invoked prior to a DoIt getting to
>
> Compiler>>evaluate: textOrStream in: aContext to: receiver notifying: aRequestor ifFail: failBlock logged: logFlag
>
> ?
>
> I know this is just semantics, but before there is a lot of "Context" going on before the first MethodContext of
>

> | factorial |
>
> factorial := [:n  |
>     n = 1
>     ifTrue:[ 1 ]
>     ifFalse:[ (factorial copy value: n-1) * n]].
> (1 to: 3) collect: factorial copy .
>
> is activated.
>
> Just curious if there is a term for that that people use.
>
> thx.
>
> ttty

I'd call it "user interface code". If you refer to the stack dump below, you see that the TextEditor pretty much directly invokes the Compiler, triggered by a keystroke event that is handled by the hierarchy of morphs and generated by the Morphic main loop (with a slight diversion via the ToolSet layer).

- Bert -

UndefinedObject>>DoIt
Compiler>>evaluateCue:ifFail:
Compiler>>evaluateCue:ifFail:logged:
Compiler>>evaluate:in:to:notifying:ifFail:logged:
[] in SmalltalkEditor(TextEditor)>>evaluateSelectionAndDo:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
SmalltalkEditor(TextEditor)>>evaluateSelectionAndDo:
SmalltalkEditor(TextEditor)>>printIt
SmalltalkEditor(TextEditor)>>printIt:
SmalltalkEditor(TextEditor)>>dispatchOnKeyboardEvent:
SmalltalkEditor(TextEditor)>>keyStroke:
[] in [] in TextMorphForEditView(TextMorph)>>keyStroke:
TextMorphForEditView(TextMorph)>>handleInteraction:fromEvent:
TextMorphForEditView>>handleInteraction:fromEvent:
[] in TextMorphForEditView(TextMorph)>>keyStroke:
StandardToolSet class>>codeCompletionAround:textMorph:keyStroke:
ToolSet class>>codeCompletionAround:textMorph:keyStroke:
TextMorphForEditView(TextMorph)>>keyStroke:
TextMorphForEditView>>keyStroke:
TextMorphForEditView(TextMorph)>>handleKeystroke:
KeyboardEvent>>sentTo:
TextMorphForEditView(Morph)>>handleEvent:
TextMorphForEditView(Morph)>>handleFocusEvent:
[] in HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear: