[Vm-dev] Book The Squeak Virtual Machines By Example

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Mon Jan 6 12:53:28 UTC 2014

That is wonderful news.

Thank you Eliot.

I have added "recreate the last section of the blue book rewritten around a modern VM.  " to my notes.

cordially

tty

---- On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 22:50:47 -0800 Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote ----

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 9:58 AM, gettimothy <gettimothy at zoho.com> wrote:

I figured that as I studied the VM stuff, it would be helpful to start compiling a book that others can use down the road.
 The goal is to make it easier for people like me who know zero about this, to be able to ramp up using a good pedagogical method.

I have successfully downloaded and compiled the Squeak By Example LaTeX source and I am using that source tree as my template and I will be
 recording what I learn into it.

If anybody is interested with suggestions on what chapters should be in there and what order they should be in, then please chime and I can start building a skeleton.

If the community wants an open book, I am happy to build that skeleton and turn it over to whoever wants to put it up on github.

As for content, I would like it to include historical progressions so the sense of how and why things progress over time is captured. An obvious example is this BlockContext to BlockClosure progression
I am currently getting my head around.

My only caveat is that it not infringe on Eliot's wallet. He has stated on his blog that his notes are the starting point for a book and it would not be fair to deprive him of
the $$ he has earned for his knowledge. If Eliot objects to this effort, I will not step on his toes and my offer is retracted.

No objection.  My blog's proving to fitful and perhaps too specific to turn into a book any time soon.  BTW, I'd love to see the last section of the blue book rewritten around a modern VM.

thx

tty

--
best,Eliot