[Vm-dev] Re: allObjectsDo: (was Re: [squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-cwp.662.mcz)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Jan 14 00:19:23 UTC 2014

On 13-01-2014, at 4:07 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's no point hurrying a thing like this.  Best to do it right.  Take your time and answer an Array of the objects and nothing but the objects :-).  We're essentially aiming at 4.6 now so there's lots of time to test.

I think this is probably also true of the actual operation as well. Making an array of all objects in the system (uh, might it need  a flag or two to specify whether not-in-memory & proxy objects are to be realised) is a big job. Maybe a full gc is in order to make sure things are clean. Maybe the gc would provide a count of objects left live so that we could make the answer array that big without a further memory scan.

tim
Strange OpCodes: EF: Emulate Fireworks