[Vm-dev] One cannot pass Morphic event's along the Morhp chain from the simulation host World to the running simulation on the target World.

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 17:44:50 UTC 2014

Hi Tty,

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 5:11 AM, gettimothy <gettimothy at zoho.com> wrote:

> Henry, Bob and Eliot.
>
> Thanks all.
>

> After I study what Eliot wrote and devise my plan, I will post it back
> here.
> Bear in mind that I am new to this. I am experiencing the same difficulty
> in thinking 'VM' vs 'Smalltalk' as I did when thinking 'Smalltalk' vs
> 'Algol';
> I am sure the light bulb will come on (40 Watt, sadly) eventually, but
> expect missteps.
>

> BTW, is there an existing working process that the Simulator currently
> does that I can use as a model? I was planning on mapping what Eliot wrote
> what I can see in the Simulator's command window menu as a starting point
> to get a feel for things. Good place to start ?

Sure.  But you're going to add event handler code to where that window is
created which is StackInterpreterSimulator>>openAsMorph.  You're going to
need a new inst var in StackInterpreterSimulator to hold the event.  As Bob
says (wish I'd said it too but I couldn't find it) the Morphic events may
hold onto their OS events anyway so you may not even have to convert.

Anyway, dive in, get your hands dirty, and you don't have to commit your
mistakes, so we'll never know, only see the shiny finished product ;-)

cordially,

--
best,
Eliot