[Vm-dev] What is the term for vm-display-null, vm-sound-ALSA etc??

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Jul 18 08:32:45 UTC 2014

On 18.07.2014, at 03:55, btc at openinworld.com wrote:

> To my mind, a module is something that might only be able to be bound at VM compile time, whereas a plugin could be bound to a running VM.  I guess that at some point of history there was only the former, and the latter came along later with new terminology?

Nope. Before the VM became modularized it was monolithic. Tim can tell you all about that process, but for sure one major point of breaking out parts of the VM into modules was to enable dynamic loading. That was there from the beginning.

The term "module" and "plugin" wrt the Squeak VM mean exactly the same thing, except the latter may be confused with the web browser plugin (which wraps the whole VM into a plugin loadable by a web browser).

- Bert -