[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] Bug in writing compressed stream when saving an mcz (was: New Cog VMs available...)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 00:15:20 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 4:20 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 02:06:18PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> >
> > I think we have to accept that the fix to on:from:to: means that exsting
> > VMs are broken.  Certainly the ZipPlugin (InflatePlugin &
> DeflatePlugin)'s
> > dependency on WriteStream and ReadStream inst size is restrictive.  I'd
> > rather lift the restriction and use new VMs than live with the
> restriction
> > long-term.
>
> Is this fix is of sufficient urgency to justify asking all Squeak trunk
> users
> to replace their VMs? Is there any less disruptive way to address the
> issue?
> I don't know the answers, just asking.

Well, I've fixed the VM (commit to appear shortly) and much prefer having a
fixed plugin.  The alternatives are
a) having some horrible hack in the image to store initialPositionOrNil out
of streams
b) living with on:from:to: being broken

Since VMs can be fixed it seems to me that the best solution is to build
new VMs.  That's the solution I'm following anyway.
--
best,
Eliot