[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] Bug in writing compressed stream when saving an mcz (was: New Cog VMs available...)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Jul 19 22:29:32 UTC 2014

> On Jul 19, 2014, at 12:46, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>>
>> It's a really neat trick when developing a plugin.
>
> Yes, this mechanism does work, and it is quite feasible to distribute an
> external plugin to override an existing internal plugin. You are right
> that is it not necessary to distribute a new VM. From the point of view of
> a Squeak user who may not be familiar with how the VM is put together, it
> may be something of an academic point since we have no extablished process
> for distributing plugin updates independent of the full VM installations.

An excellent point. It was part of the original plan, as a way to provide bug fixes as well as flexible extensions to the vm. I seem to recall some worries about the ballooning size of the vm.... Technology has moved on since then though and even a fully bloated vm with every plugin ever written built internally is probably a small fraction of the size of typical email with yet another inline attached damn cat video.