[Vm-dev] tty's hypothesis on configH in CMakeVMMaker

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Mon Jun 16 10:53:41 UTC 2014

Hi Igor.

I am not experienced enough in make/build systems to have an opinion.

I notice it is only on Unix configurations that implement the configH method.

I do note, that I did have to modify it to get the UUIDPlugin to compile on my system.

This is not a big deal at all as editing that method is just another step in setting up a Configuration.

I am documenting this in the Help for the package. I will try (once I am fluent in the system and it works like a machine) to create a step-by-step instructions for building a new configuration.
Modifying that configH method will be one of those steps.

I was thinking last night that a possible addition to the system would be to create a CMakeVMMaker plugin configuration wrapper that would store the configuration state for a configuration for a plugin.
Then, on your CMakePluginGenerator, access the configuration method on that wrapper and have it inject its information into the config.h.

That is a BIG task that will take a lot of brain cycles that I don't want to spend until after I deliver the first release.

Say we have Concrete configuration for build.linux32x86.squeak.cog.spur/build  (<--Eliot's organization principle, not to be confused with Heisenberg's uncertainty principle...)

In CMakeVMMakerSqueak, this maps to concrete configuration class Linux32x86SqueakCogSpurConfig that is configured for build type:#build

Have a parallel PluginWrapper class Linux32x86SqueakCogSpurPluginConfig configured for type:#build.

Then in CMakePluginGenerator generate do the following:

    modify it to access the plugin via the wrapper class instead of directly
    carry a config.h WriteStream in CMakeVMGenerator to eventually write out the config.h file
    add a method to have the Plugin Wrapper inject its content into that write stream.
     write out config.h at same time as build.sh and CMakeLists.txt in

That is several days of work--probably a week.

I think it makes more sense for now to just modify the configH method directly in the limited number of concrete configurations that need it.

cheers.

tty