[Vm-dev] tty's hypothesis on configH in CMakeVMMaker

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Tue Jun 17 16:24:24 UTC 2014

Hi Ben.

Thanks for the feedback.

I though I was going to be asking for the moon... for something to parse the VMMaker classes in the system into a desktop GUI selection tool, there you've already thought of something similar.  Not withstanding any Seaside UI, I think a desktop UI would be more use for individuals to explore how the build system works - and the infrastructure would be common between the two UI.

 There is an existing tool VMMakerTool that does what you say.

The barrier to entry for a newbies  is getting everything set up and configured. Once over the initial hump, the development/compile/build process is pretty easy to work with.

To help newbies jump-that-hump , I have a script in Cog/image/buildsqueakcmakeimage.sh (broken at the moment, investigating why now) that sets up Squeak images with all the tools installed and configured ready for use.

This includes the VMMakerTool for old-school generation, Eliot's cog scripts and the under-development CMakeVMakerSqueak stuff.

The script supports setting up new Cog dev with VMaker.oscog and the old StandardVM in VMMaker package, so its easy to get up and running quickly.

>From some reason its broken at the moment and I am debugging it now.

cheers.

tty