[Vm-dev] running 'configure' command from within Squeak and then loading that config.h into my object...similar work done?

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Sat Jun 28 15:09:15 UTC 2014

Hi Ben,

 Following a post by Igor in a different thread [1], I also wondered whether running configure and storing the results in image would be useful.  I haven't done much system programming, so excuse my naivety, but doesn't `configure` only make sense for the system you are compiling on?  What if you want to cross-compile form one Linux distribution-release to an older release, or another distribution, which might be at a client site.  At first glance it seems having cached "configure" result wold be useful, otherwise you'd need to install the client's distribution-release to do it? (and maybe that would be a good idea anyway, but should it be a constraint?).

 I wonder if there is some middle ground, where `configure` results could be stored as different methods on one particular class - similar to how Metacello does its versioning.  These could be added by different groups working with the VM as extension methods from their own packages.  The default would be generate config.h at compile time, but you'd be able to substitute with a call to one of these cached `configure` methods.

 I half-expect this won't be well received :), but its my current thinking, so I'll be learning something in any case.
 cheers -ben

I discovered yesterday during the email exchange on this subject that Ian's configure script and CMakeLists.txt work together to create a config.h without using the auto-tools; this is the approach I will be taking. I will be turning my attention to it in a couple of days.

cheers.

tty.