[Vm-dev] Has anyone built the Squeak VM with clang on Mac OS yet?

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Sat Mar 8 21:46:47 UTC 2014

On 08.03.2014, at 01:07, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 08:20:06PM +0100, Tobias Pape wrote:
>>

>> On 07.03.2014, at 15:57, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>>

>>> We do not have an active platform maintainer for Mac. Esteban is actively
>>> developing for Pharo, but I cannot say what the differences are at this
>>> point. All I can say is that the SVN squeak/trunk/Mac OS/ branch has not
>>> been updated in the last couple of years, aside from some minor tweaks
>>> that Ian has applied.
>>>

>> This branch greats you with an ?I AM OBSOLETE? error when you try to build it?
>>

> That seems odd. I do not see the string 'I AM OBSOLETE' anywhere in the Subversion
> trunk platforms source tree. Can you say where the message comes from?

It is hard coded

~/dev/SqueakVMMaker/platforms/Mac OS % egrep -R '#\ ?error' *

vm/sqMacMain.c:#error Hi, you are building an obsolete version of the macintosh VM.
vm/sqMacMain.c:#error Instead use the xCode projects found in the iOS folder
vm/sqMacMain.c:#error Remove these error defines if you really need to build this obsolete 4.x VM

> Almost everything in squeak/trunk/Mac OS/ is exactly as John left it three
> years ago. I would have thought that it would be possible to re-generate the
> sources from an up to date VMMaker, and use those sources along with the
> SVN platform sources in squeak/trunk/Mac OS/. There would probably be a few
> things that would need fixing up in the platforms sources since three years
> ago, but it would not be a lot.

The Mac OS plaform branch is based on Carbon and most features used are Deprecated by
Apple and successively disappearing since 10.7.

> Easy more me to say, I am not a Mac developer ;-)
;)

Best
	-Tobias