[Vm-dev] Cog/Stack VM on PowerPC?

Douglas McPherson djm1329 at san.rr.com
Mon May 12 17:16:50 UTC 2014

Yesterday I spent several hours resurrecting an old PowerMac G4 running OS X 10.5 (Leopard). I managed to find Xcode 3.1.4 download on Apple's developer site and install it. I want to build a Cog/Stack VM for this machine. I opened the xcode project in Cog/stackbuild/macbuild/CoreVM.xcodeproj and built with no problems. However the VM won't start instead popping up "You can't open the application "Squeak" because it is not supported on this architecture." This is the same message I get if I try to open the Squeak-4.5-All-in-One on the G4 - which in that case makes sense since it's a full Cog VM built for IA32 and of course doesn't run on PPC.

So my questions are:
1. Should I be able to run Cog/Stack on PPC?
2. How should I build it? Clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,
Doug