[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] 32 bits and 64 bits VM

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri May 16 23:47:52 UTC 2014

On 16-05-2014, at 12:18 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> Ideally we will evolve to the point where the fastest available VM will
> be selected for the image format being read, thus Spur else Cog else StackInterpreter
> else Interpreter selected at runtime.

It might be counted as ‘insane, bordering upon tasteless’ but I suspect we could create an executable that had all the relevant code included and really did make the choice at image load time :-) Or actually make use of the module dynamic loading to assemble the correct combo of engine and memory manager at need. And thus finally would come to pass something like the devious plan Schiffman & I discussed at OOPSLA San Diego. It can only be a matter of time before I have my sub-volcanic lair and Persian cat. Muah-ha-ha!

tim
Ignoranus (n): A person who's both stupid and an asshole.