[Vm-dev] Naming convetions for Cog unix builds question (abldt, bldt, dbldt, astbldt, asbld etc)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue May 27 04:51:21 UTC 2014

Hi Timothy,

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 9:41 AM, gettimothy <gettimothy at zoho.com> wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
>
> I would like to name the CMakeConfigurations so that the build directory
> they are deposited in is intuitive and is in line with your current thought
> processes.
>
> I cannot figure out the heuristics of some of the abbreviations below:
>

> + [ ] abldt
> + [ ] bldt
> + [ ] dbldt
> + [ ] astbld
> + [ ] astbldt
> + [ ] bldt
> + [ ] dbgbld  debug build?
> + [ ] dbgbldt
> + [ ] astbld
> + [ ] astbldt
> + [X] bld      Cog Unix 32 build
> + [ ] bldt
> + [ ] dbgbld
> + [ ] dbgbldt
> + [ ] abld
> + [ ] abldt
> + [ ] dbld     debug build?
> + [ ] dbldt
> + [ ] mtbld
> + [ ] mtbldt
>

> I assume ....
> 'bld' is the default 32 bit unix build
> 'mtbld' is multi-threaded
> 'dbld' and 'dbgbld' are probably debug enabled
> the 'a*' and '*t' directories have me stumped.

a and ast are prefixes for assert.  There are three VM configurations.
 Debug and Assert include assert code, with the Assert VMs being optimized
with -O1 (asserts are slow to evaluate and a little optimization can really
help).  Debug VMs are entirely unoptimized (and hence crawl).  The third is
production where asserts are eliminated by the preprocessor.

Obviously I should be consistent and withe ruse a or ast, not both (and the
same for d/bg).  I'm about to revise the whole build directory stricture
anyway to make it much more consistent, but I've yet to find the time.

The "t" suffix is for "threaded" and means that these VMs have the threaded
heartbeat, with the others using the problematic itimer heartbeat.  Alas
older linux kernels don't allow the threaded heartbeat, but once we're not
interested in supporting older then 2.6.14 (IIRC) then they can be dropped.

--
best,
Eliot