[Vm-dev] Tim R. Deliverables for CMake?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue May 27 20:34:23 UTC 2014

Hi,
well first of all congratulations and thank you for banging on this.

On 27-05-2014, at 1:10 PM, gettimothy <gettimothy at zoho.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim R.
>
> Could you please define the deliverables for this project so I make sure I meet them?

The key issue is ending up with a cmake build system that works within the needs we’ve listed in various mails; just like the autoconf stuff you have to be able to svn a tree, type ‘make’ and it does all the configuration testing, assembling of any files that need building (like plugins.exc for example) and then builds the vm. There must be no need to run an image to generate anything at this stage. If you want to make it that an in-image tool can be used to generate the cmake files rather than hand-writing them, I don’t care either way but the cmake files must be saved in svn and do the full job. Ian already has the working example of the plain interpreter vm code tree and whatever we end up with for the cog tree should be very, very similar just with the cog extra stuff. The long term aim is to merge the trees very thoroughly so that the plain interp and various cog versions are all peers. There’s a fair way to go for that though.

> Unless I a missing something obvious, do not think I will be able to build on the Mac/IOS trees due to my platform being Linux.

Since neither platform uses autoconf there is no need to convert them to cmake… likewise you don’t need to do anything to the RISC OS build system ;-)

> My next task is to get all the "missing plugins" that pharo has moved to squeak and following that, do the build tree revamp for Eliot.
>
> Following that is Windows builds (however that is done)
No idea about Windows and more to the point I don’t really care. If it uses autoconf within the mingw tools then I suppose it might be possible to convert to cmake? Not an issue  for me but I imagine Eliot would be happy if it were nicer.

> Thanks for your time.
No, thank you for yours.

tim
Useful random insult:- Sailboat fuel for brains.