[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] Solaris VM ?

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Fri May 30 18:49:28 UTC 2014

Hi Andreas.

What I meant was: The pre-configured „UNIX-"VMs for either CogVM or PharoVM are just Linux (and because Linux is just a kernel
these don’t necessarily work for all Linux distributions), not real UNICES.

To my knowledge this is also true for VMMaker (at least for the Pharo variant). There are some relicts from FreeBSD but that’s only loosely coupled
and not working without additional coding (again Pharo variant). I haven’t seen any other classes supporting Solaris or any BSD variants despite FreeBSD.
I created a Solaris specific support class (in a git clone of PharoVM) but it’s hard to make use of it without further refactoring: there is an inheritance chain of
configuration classes and no easy way to inject a new class. At least I didn’t see an easy way...

Thanks.

I have a tri-boot system--SlackwareLinux 64, Slackware Linux 64 with 32 bit compatibility libs, and OpenIndiana (an OpenSunOS variant).

Its a chicken-egg problem where I lay the egg on Linux and see if it will hatch on OpenIndiana. I.e. I generate the CMake config on linux and run on SunOS.

I can hand-edit the SunOS config until I get it correct and then modify the CMakeVMMaker SunOSConfig to generate the correct CMake files.

Like you say, SunOS is NOT linux and it is very unfamiliar in a lot of respects.

Still, it will be cool to have it running sometime--just for the cool factor.

Cheers.

tty

Regards,
Andreas