[Vm-dev] Re: goto instruction with Cog VM

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 23:54:57 UTC 2014

Hi Ben,

On Nov 8, 2014, at 3:35 PM, Ben Coman <btc at openInWorld.com> wrote:

> Eliot Miranda wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Ralph Boland <rpboland at gmail.com <mailto:rpboland at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>          > Hi Ralph,
>>     > >
>>     > > I was aware of caseOf: in Squeak.  I always found it awkward to
>>    use and
>>     > > felt a true case statement would be simpler.  Alas, it's
>>    impossible to
>>     > > have a true case statement added to Smalltalk now I think.
>>     > So what's a "true" case statement?  For me, at least, the Squeak
>>    one *is*,
>>     > and is more general than one limited to purely integer keys, as
>>    for example
>>     > is C's switch statement.  A number of languages provide case
>>    statements
>>     > that are like Squeak's.  What do you consider a "true" case
>>    statement?
>>    I mean that:  caseOf: is not part of the language itself but rather
>>    part of the
>>    standard library or set of packages that one finds in the IDE.  To
>>    be part of the
>>    language it would need to be something the compiler is aware of. Ah OK.  I see what you mean. But you're wrong on a few counts.  First, there are *no* control structures in the language beyond closures and polymorphism.  ifTrue:, to:do:, and: whileTrue: et al are all defined in the library, not by the compiler.  Second, tehse structures, /including/ caseOf: are understood by the compiler and compiled to non-message-sending code.  So none of the blocks in caseOf:, ifTrue: and: whileTrue: et al, the optimized selectors, are created and all are inlined by the compiler.  So a) by your criterion of being in the compiler caseOf: is in the language, but b) it all control structures in Smalltalk are defined in the library, and some are optimized by the compiler.
>
> Reviewing the code for the following is enlightening:
> True>ifTrue:
> True>>ifFalse:
> False>>ifTrue:
> False>>ifFalse:
> to see as the original implementation, but remembering that as an optimization these are inlined, so that code is currently not executed.
>
> Eliot, Would I be right to presume that the Interpreter does execute those methods without optimisation?

The interpreter directly executes the bytecode produced by the compiler.  Go look.  So it depends in how the code base is compiled.  Right now the interpreter does *not* , because inlined blocks, conditional branches  and jumps are much faster than closure creation and messages. The interpreter benefits a lot from this; early Smalltalk implementations were interpreted hence the optimisation in the first place.  However, with adaptive optimisation one can allow the JIT to perform the optimisation in context, allowing alternative implementations of ifTrue: et al in other than booleans.  In Sista we've chosen not to do that, keeping inlining and using conditional branches as our performance counters.  But it may allow the compiler to be smart and optimize these forms in fewer cases.