[Vm-dev] Re: New Cog VMs available

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Mon Nov 24 11:37:33 UTC 2014

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> and I'm sorry to say the  3144 look broken too.  I suspect the VM is not
> correctly normalizing bit-operations on large integers into SmallIntegers
> as expected.

I can confirm that. The FilePlugin is unhappy to receive such integers as
file position[1]. The same is true for primitive 71 (#basicNew:) which
sometimes signals OutOfMemory error for such arguments[2].
I managed to create a broken .mcz with the VM, without getting any errors.

Levente

[1]
SourceFiles second readOnlyCopy position: (LargePositiveInteger new: 4).
"==> primitiveFailed"

[2]
ByteArray basicNew: (LargePositiveInteger new: 1). "==> OutOfMemory"
ByteArray basicNew: (LargePositiveInteger new: 4). "==> #[]"