[Vm-dev] Squeak socket problem ... help!

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Oct 9 23:28:14 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 03:27:05PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi Both,
>
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 3:05 PM, G??ran Krampe <goran at krampe.se> wrote:
>

> > Hi guys!
> >
> > Long email but... work for hire here! :)
> >
> > In short:
> >
> > Ron and I (3DICC) have a problem with the Unix VM networking and I am
> > reaching out before burning too many hours on something one of you
> > C-Unix/Socket/VM guys can fix in an afternoon - and earn a buck for your
> > trouble.
> >

> Cool.  This is likely easy to fix.  Your image is running out of file
> descriptors.  Track open and close calls, e.g. add logging around at
> least StandardFileStream>>#primOpen:writable:
> , AsyncFile>>#primOpen:forWrite:semaIndex:,
> Socket>>#primAcceptFrom:receiveBufferSize:sendBufSize:semaIndex:readSemaIndex:writeSemaIndex:
> and their associated close calls and see what's being opened without being
> closed.  It shoudl be easy to track=down, but may be more difficult to fix.
>
> Good luck!

I agree with what Eliot is saying and would add a few thoughts:

- Don't fix the wrong problem (DFtWP). Unless you have some reason to
believe that this server application would realistically have a need to
handle anything close to a thousand concurrent TCP sessions, don't fix
it by raising the per-process file handle limit, and don't fix it by
reimplementing the socket listening code.

- It is entirely possible that no one before you has ever tried to run
a server application with the per-process file handle limit bumped up
above the default 1024. So if that configuration does not play nicely
with the select() mechanism, you may well be the first to have encountered
this as an issue. But see above, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

- Most "out of file descriptor" problems involve resource leaks (as Eliot
is suggesting), and in those cases you will see a gradual increase in file
descriptors in /proc/<vmpid>/fd/ over time. Eventually you run out of
descriptors and something horrible happens.

- Before doing anything else, you must confirm if this is a resource leak,
with file descriptor use continuously increasing (which is what Eliot and
I are both assuming to be the case here), or if it is a real resource
issue in which your server has a legitimate need to maintain a very large
number of TCP connections concurrently. Given that you have a running
application with real users, you will probably want to do this with something
like a shell script keeping track of the /proc/<pid>/fd/ directory for
the running VM. (In squeaksource.com, there is an undiagnosed file handle
leak similar to what I think you are experiencing. My kludgy workaround is
a process in the image that uses OSProcess to count entries in /proc/<pid>/fd/
and restart the image when the file descriptor situation becomes dire).

- Finding file (socket) handle leaks is trickly, and if you have customers
depending on this, you probably do not have the luxury of fixing it right.
Is there any way to periodically restart the server image without causing
pain to the customer? If so, consider a kludgy workaround like I did for
squeaksource. Monitor the VM process for file handle leaks and restart
it proactively rather than waiting for a catastrophic failure. You can
do this all from within the image, I will dig out my squeaksource hack if
you think it may be of any help.

- Sorry to repeat myself but this is by far the most important point: DFtWP.

Dave