[Vm-dev] Re: [commit][3103] Add ARMV7 defines for various support files.

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Fri Oct 31 07:27:30 UTC 2014

tim Rowledge <tim <at> rowledge.org> writes:

> at about other 7A ISA? What about ARMv8?

Good Morning,

> One thing at a time. When we have some example v7notA machine to play with
we’ll extend the code. And a v8
> might be  while coming; the only v8 machines easily available are Apple
phones and tablets (unless you know
> differently?) and they aren’t going to be allowed Squeak any time soon.

to be the elephant in the room, I find this statement quite odd.
In general the ARM ISA is backward compatible (specially for
userspace applications where things like swp are emulated by the
kernel), the second thing is instead of testing for the ISA...
maybe you should test for the feature you want to use?

E.g. compare this with ACLE[1] of ARM Ltd. Test for features and
not ISA, use intrinsic. Your code will require less maintenance and
will compile/work on future ISAs.

cheers
  holger

[1]