[Vm-dev] CogVM on FreeBSD

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Fri Sep 12 18:03:48 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 02:27:36PM +0100, Frank Shearar wrote:

Hi!

thank you for the quick info.

> Cog doesn't run on FreeBSD at the moment, alas. Mainly because we lack
> a FreeBSD expert who can tell us some bits around mcontexts and
> ucontext_t things. If Eliot's OK with it, I can copy here the last
> mail he sent me on the topic, when last he & I (mainly he!) took a run
> at the problem.

to me it looks like:

* fight bashism/gnuism.. or at least use "/usr/bin/env bash" instead
of hardcoding /bin/bash

* There seems to be quite some code that doesn't compile with clang.
(e.g. return from a function without value. this applies to plugins
with imported code and main Cog code)

* gcc/g++ doesn't exist but the usage is hardcoded in quite some
places. E.g. regenerating libtool could do wonder

* External libs/dependencies. When using COMPAT32 there is no libuuid
and I think I could do without the UUID Plugin.

* For  "backtrace" one needs to link -lexecinfo starting from FreeBSD
10.

What interests me more is how to get patches into the Cog branch? My
SCTP socket support and autoconf clean-ups never made it into the
branch.

cheers
	holger