[Vm-dev] NoDbgRegParms "Fix" testing

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 04:18:35 UTC 2015

Tim,

    the way I'd test it is a) look at the preprocessed output via -E to
check that the attributes were included in the souerce, and b) I'd open the
executable in gdb, disassemble  some of the funcitons with the attribute
that take arguments and look at the disassembly to verify that the
functions take their arguments from the stack and not from registers.  I
might then try and run the VM under gdb, put a breakpoint some where in the
VM (or just interrupt it after it ran for a while) and then try and call
one of the funcitons in a suitable state.  Of course getting the VM to a
suitable state and knowing which function to call is not trivial.  So
better is probably looking at the disassembly between an Assert compile
(-O1) with the attributes and an Assert compile without the attributes.

--
best,
Eliot