[Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Re: Status of Pharo VM for FreeBSD

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 17:20:30 UTC 2015

Hi Andreas,

    sorry to be late in replying.  This has been a busy month (I moved
house).

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Andreas Wacknitz <a.wacknitz at gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
>
> Am 11.03.2015 um 23:15 schrieb Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>:
>
> HI Andreas,
>
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Andreas Wacknitz <a.wacknitz at gmx.de>
> wrote:
>

>> Hi Clement,
>>
>> Am 11.03.2015 um 09:23 schrieb Clément Bera <bera.clement at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> About the FreeBSD VM, Holger Freyther worked on it so he's the best
>> person to answer. I think some people used it and it was at least partially
>> working.
>>
>> That’s my impression. The VMMaker contains some FreeBSD classes but I
>> have the impression that they are not complete (and probably outdated).
>>

>> About your NativeBoost bug on openSolaris,  need more information:
>>
>> - Can you confirm that you use an intel processor on your openSolaris
>> machine ? I assume that yes but I ask because solaris were typically
>> running on other processors. NativeBoost, as of today, works only with
>> intel processor.
>>
>> Yes, my Sun Ultra 24 is an Intel based Workstation (Q9300).
>>
>> - Do you build the Cog VM or Stack VM ? I mean PharoVMBuild or
>> PharoSVMBuild ? I think the PharoSVMBuild does not include NativeBoost by
>> default, that may be your problem. There's a fix somewhere...
>>
>> PharoVM from "branch 'master' of
>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm" (thus Cog VM).
>>

> I would like to fold back any changes into the svn master repository for
> Cog.   What are the diffs?  (If you have time to send me the diffs that
> would save me a lot of time).
>
> I don’t know whether there is much to harvest from what I did. As far as I
> remember most of my work was hacking the generator image created by the
> pharo vm scripts (for my Mac) in order to make
> the resulting C code to compile under openindiana. The basis for Solaris
> was already there (and as far as I can see it is also in the Squeak VM
> sources). I only tweaked some definitions and includes.
> I will look at my notes tomorrow and will post if I will find something
> relevant.
>
> I am curios about the future of the PharoVM. The main development of the
> VM seem to happen in the SqueakVM (by you). Getting the Spur changes into
> the PharoVM seem to be a lot of work.

Note that this will happen (or is already happening).  Esteban is working
on building the Spur version of Pharo, so he is doing this work.  But
actually it *isn't* that much work.  There is basically a trio of new
memory management files for each platform, e.g.
platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixSpurMemory.c, and a new source tree for the spur
vm, spursrc/vm.  The system is already set up to build multiple VMs (at
least the svn tree is).

> Wouldn’t it be better to move back the changes of the PharoVM into the
> SqueakVM and have a united development?

Well, I don't think the Pharo community will be willing to move to svn.
SOme time I may be able to move to git.  But yes, I *would* like to see
important fixes merged back into the SqueakVM.  I think this is very
important.  I'm too overloaded to look at the pharovm so I'm dependent on
those working on the pharovm in giut to send me changes for integration.

And what is the status and what are the plans regarding Timothy’s

--
best,
Eliot