[Vm-dev] Cog VM FilePlugin issue

Phil (list) pbpublist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 03:30:14 UTC 2015

It appears that there's a behavior difference between recent Cog and
Pharo/Seaside (which I assume is just the Squeak VM?) VMs: <primitive:
'primitiveDirectoryEntry' module: 'FilePlugin'> returns 5 values in Cog
and 7 in Squeak.  The 6th value are the file permissions and the 7th is
a boolean (haven't looked to see what it represents).

I noticed this with some Pharo and Seaside images when attempting to
open the world menu -> Tools -> File Browser which results in an error
under Cog.  The cause is DiskStore #basicEntryAt: returning 2 additional
values that Cog currently does not:

[plug := FilePluginPrims new.
	path := AbsolutePath from: '/tmp'.
	ds := DiskStore current.
	ds basicEntryAt: path] value.

Squeak VM returns:  #('tmp' 3606072933 3606072933 true 0 511 false)
Cog VM returns:  #('tmp' 3606072933 3606072933 true 0)

These results were obtained using the VMs from
http://www.seaside.st/distributions/Seaside-3.1-OneClick-Pharo2.zip and
http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3308/coglinux-15.14.3308.tgz

I'm assuming this is not an intentional behavior difference.  But if it
is, any details as to why would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Phil